Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Days 24 & 25





Well, we are now in our fourth week here with only one more week to go. This week is full of training with the Division Officer Course as well as Fire Fighting and the Buttercup.

Tuesday was a spectacular training event as the group that I was in got to go to the fire fighting training. It was very nice to get to do some fleet relevant training and go back to my roots from my first ship. We learned the basics of fire fighting and then got to dress out in fire fighting ensembles and "man" the hoses to put out fires. It got pretty warm in those suits. Top that off with breathing from a self contained breathing apparatus, you can say that it was as realistic training as possible. I know that all of us in the team who participated had a blast.

Today's training was focused on flood control. We were provided with some fundamental training on pipe patching and damage control organization in the Navy and were then dressed out to board the USS BUTTERCUP where the ship was intentionally flooded. It was our job to pump out the water and plug all and any holes in the ship.

Unfortunately, I was not able to take any pictures today, but I am attaching some pictures from yesterday's training here for your enjoyment.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting such a detailed report of what to expect at ods. I too am prior enlisted and this was the only information I could find about Ods apart from the official website.

    ReplyDelete